Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fall, Our Favorite Time


Every year for the past three, I have longed for this time of year. Fall. Sometimes it only feels like a symbolic end of the heat of Summer, but the past few days we've been blessed with beautiful weather. Waking up, finding Muzzy's leash, opening the door and not feeling the sudden rush of the wet blanket--the Mississippi humidity--improves your whole day. Muzzy, the ever-excited one, finds even more energy when her hair stays light and fluffy and in no way resembles a television commercial's example of "a bad hair day." Marin has also enjoyed the cooler temps, if for no other reason than she hasn't been turning red as a tomato after 20 minutes of outdoor play (see photo). Sure we don't have the changing leaves (mostly pines, oh and our yard has two 6' trees), but we welcome this time just the same. The miser in me loves the fact that the air conditioning gets a rest, if only at night. The fiying is much more fun too. As you might imagine strapping on 35 lbs of gear and jumping into a coffin-sized greenhouse and then get airborne turning and climbing, pulling and maneuvering. Sweating and soaking.
All of that is on hold and so I happily I sit here, listening to the crickets mixed in with my neighbors air conditioning unit and hope that our reprieve is really here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the fall, too! We'll take some pictures of the changing leaves here for you. Enjoy lots of time outside in the beautiful weather!

Brigid and Kyle said...

I'll try to post a few pictures of our leaves from Iowa, but my favorites are the bright RED ones and I haven't found too many yet.

Glad you're getting a bit of relief.

Sara said...

ditto - windows open at night! Of course, you can come rake at our house any time.

Michigan Palmers said...

I love fall, too!!! And I will get some pictures of the leaves changing. They just started here, so should be in full color in a week?