I've had this stuck in my head for a while and it may come across "preachy" and self-righteous, but my point is to honor Dad and it is his birthday after all.
Dad's life and the life lessons that he taught can best be understood by knowing that his purpose in life was to be happy, healthy and holy.
For Cronley's, being happy has never been a result of something. I think about growing up in a household that some would describe as mass chaos, and some would describe as beautiful. Our happiness has always been a decision each day. Dad's example of the difficulty of the car business (understatement of the century), to resisting the temptation to change locations, to working for someone less qualified than himself, to the pressure of being the sole financial provider had to be hard. And yet, each morning it was off to work as if it was his first day on the job. Happiness is never a guarantee or a goal, but a decision dad made each day and I think on the whole, we are pretty good at this still today.
To be healthy is something we all want. You feel good when you are hitting the gym, or running trails and to be sure, it is our responsibility to do this. Now Dad couldn't keep up with me on a run (let alone Joe or John), and he would get wooped by Pete Goethals in tennis, so it's pretty safe to say that each of the girls would trounce him on the court as well. But Dad knew about relationship health better than anyone else I've met to date. People knew where they stood with Dad because they knew Dad. There was no question about his intentions and he never schemed. What you see is what you get. If Dad told you he was hurt, you knew you had hurt him. When he forgave you, you knew he had forgiven you. Relationships are much more resilient and stable when their backdrop is of this honest and undisguised example that Dad provided. I hope that, without his living example, we too can reach his level of relationship mastery that could prevent the unfortunate strife common to aging families.
Ah, holiness. Now I specifically remember Dad trimming his finger nails during a homily and I'd bet he would be hard-pressed to wax intelligent on the pope's latest encyclicals. That being said, among the billions of people to walk this earth, there is only one Jesus and only 12 apostles and yet a passerby eclipsed the cowardliness of the those same apostles when Jesus needed help to carry the cross. My point is we may not all be called to extreme, life-changing religious callings, but like Simon (the passerby), we are all called to be ready. Dad's honesty and integrity as a man, meant that he was ready.
So there they are--Dad's gifts. None of them were given in a vacuum, but rather in a life of struggle and hardship, joy and excitement. Let's not forget them. Let's enhance them and honor Dad through them.
9 comments:
Thank you, Boog! You knew Dad well, in your relatively short time together; better, in fact, than many people ever get to know their fathers.
Another gift was his friendship. He could run with the highrollers and yet was a friend to the poor man on the corner as well.
He was a man of great but quiet wisdom.
Happy Birthday, Dad! Love & Miss you.
Nicely written Boog! You got it right. He was a great man, and one we should continue to learn a lot from. In the hours following Dad's death on my flight back to Michigan, I wrote down about 10 things I learned from Dad. I cannot find them right now, but I will and I will post them to share with everyone.
Happy Birthday Dad!
-Joe
P.S. I had one beer today for Dad. Also, Mom, Jerry, Susan, Kelly and I toasted him at dinner.
So beautifully said Tom- I know that your dad is smiling down on his beautiful family - what a legacy. John, Andy, Claire and I are all better for sharing your lives just a bit. We send our love during this holy season. Love, Susie
So beautifully said Tom- I know that your dad is smiling down on his beautiful family - what a legacy. John, Andy, Claire and I are all better for sharing your lives just a bit. We send our love during this holy season. Love, Susie
I have been thinking about dad the last two weeks. I could not have written it any better. I creid as I read this and will re read this a lot.
Thanks
Patty
Very well said, Boog. One of the things I am grateful for, is that my children knew him. Matt is the only one that remembers him, but they have pictures as memories. I remember Mom saying those first couple days how sad it would be that our children wouldn't have the opportunity to know him and how true that is. But there is a little of him in all of you.
Boog, not long before he died, Dad told me we were all smart, but you are the smartest! He'd be proud of your writing ability. Wow! I should have saved this for home; I'm crying in my classroom! Well, done, Brother.
Happy Birthday, Dad. I love you.
Just peeked in on the blog Cron as I do every so often... Really inspiring piece about your dad. Without ever knowing him I certainly have the experience of who he was. You have definitely honored him with this. It was very generous of you to share this. Thanks.
Boog, you da man!!!
Scary Uncle
Post a Comment