As you all know, the football begins anew tomorrow. Questions loom about the 2007 Irish. Who will the quarterback be? How will the defense react to the new defensive coordinator? But things will not change. We will follow the team. I suggest this website for the most complete coverage The Blue Gray Sky We will go to some games and watch all the games. And some moments, we will forever remember.
In 1980, Notre Dame played Michigan. Mom, Dad, I went to the game. It may seem like once again "The King" got special treatment, but come on, I was 3...and I did fall asleep during the game. Everyone else was at home, but Joe only remembers that he, John and Patty were upstairs watching the game from Mom and Dad's room.
This is one of those memories, tied to Notre Dame football that we will forever remember, or in my case, a memory I get to hear so many times that I swear, I do remember it too.
Harry Oliver, 5'10", acne-covered Mechanical Engineering student, a back-up to the back-up, a guy who missed an extra point in the same game, a nobody, makes a 51-yard field goal to beat Michigan. And we all still remember the announcer saying, "Come Harry, give it ride, Baby."
Here's a clip from the game. It's the U of M announcer who is so surprised that the kick was made that he seemingly lost his mind. Just so you know, ND wins 29-27.
More on Harry Oliver here. Go Irish beat Georgia Tech.
6 comments:
Go Irish, for sure! Can't wait to see you guys this weekend!!!
Why on that day I do believe that we had a tennis tournament. I remember returning home and going to Colleen Doyle's (they had a VCR) and watching it after the fact. Her parents were there. I can remember replaying it over and over and over and over and screaming so much, we were hoarse the next day. Funny thing is Boog, I don't remember that you were even there. So, I guess that's one less thing to give you flack about. GO IRISH!!!
Boog, I'm with Maura...I don't remember that you got to go either. I guess we were all so busy that it didn't bother us so much. I do remember jumping up and down and crying with excitement. The announcer is hilarious - thanks for the memories.
Obviously, I don't remember either. But what about the story (usually told separately of the Harry Oliver story) of me falling asleep while sitting with mom and dad on the 50 yard line? I know it was a Michigan game. I figured it was this one.
I think the three of us, "oldies" aren't going to be much help for you figuring which game that was.
One story I do recall is that of you getting lost at ND stadium and hearing Dad's name over the public address system. He said that you were eating a hot dog and drinking a pop, happy as can be. My kids would get lost everytime, just to get more hot dogs and pop!
Boog??? Lost???? Somewhere????
No way!!! I can't believe it ...
Cedar Point also comes to mind. And you're a pilot for the US Navy? Perhaps I should write them a letter.......
Post a Comment