Sunday, October 29, 2006

Pumpkin Carving


October is hands-down our favorite month. The colors of the leaves, the anticipation of the holidays, the constant football, and for us in Mississippi, the bearable temperatures! But October is leaving and Halloween is upon us. To help us get in the mood (since we've already eaten all of the candy we bought for the trick-or-treaters), we had an afternoon of carving up our front porch decor. Today we bought new pumpkins, since the one we had gotten a couple weeks ago, was already rotten.
So we chopped open the top, scraped out the goop and seads, and ever so carefully carved out our masterpieces. Below you see the lineup of all of the pumpkins, including the ones carved by our friends Rob, Leea and Angela. Then you get a close-up of Tracey's on the left and then mine on the right.
Our neighbor Craig offered his keen eye and sense of true art as he picked my "The Owl Swoops" as the overall winner. To be fair, Craig had a difficult time deciding which pumpkin was best which resulted in his hamburgers turning to hockey pucks in his absence.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All right, how did you guys do that? I've worked on pumpkins for my kids for at least 10 years now and, even using stencils, mine never turn out that good. You bought them that way, right? My kids are going to be on the first bus south when they see these jack-o-lanterns!

Anonymous said...

Is that a Jim Morrison pumpkin between the surprised pumpkin and the swooping hawk? Very nice!
Mike

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!!!

I'm with Brigid on this one. What happened to the triangle eyes, diamond nose, and the mouth with a few teeth?????

I am certain Boog didn't learn those fabulous carving techniques from his older sisters.

I can't wait to show them to Mike/Heather.

Anonymous said...

I am mighty impressed, and glad that you didn't have me visit for that contest! Now the chili one, maybe....

Anonymous said...

Those are the best pumpkins I have ever seen!!! I want to see more pictures of the little giraffe though. Seriously, will send me some of her in her costume?
Cath
PS: we finally updated the blog :)