Wednesday, July 26, 2006

John's ND Football Career

Before you wonder why, after 10 straight posts about the new baby, I have thrown a seemingly random Notre Dame football post in here, I'll try to justify my brief departure. Tivo has been recording old Notre Dame football games for me over the past few years and never have I seen anyone in the Cronley family at the game. That is until this video. So, here is the video that I've been trying to get out for a while.
In 1987, ND played Michigan State early in the season. Dad and Joe sat together next to the "Rocker" while John and I got the field level seats. Mom and Patty couldn't make it because they went to see Pope John Paul at the Silverdome the very same day. Mom said the Pope came out for mass and was wearing Michigan State green. That was it. Mom just knew ND was going to lose. Well, ND didn't lose. ND scored 2 seconds into the game and routed MSU 31-8. It was an historic game because of Tim Brown's 2 punt returns for touchdowns which vaulted him to the runaway selection as the Heisman Trophy winner for 1987. In the video, John (wearing a yellow shirt and green hat) celebrates in the endzone with the ND defensive line after they force a safety of Michigan State's quarterback. And, later you see John when the camera operator focuses on the crowd. If you look closely, you can see a very excited 10 year old in the bottom right corner of the screen. Click the link below.

ND vs. MSU 1987

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boog,

That was the best posting yet, too bad I got fat and my eyes failed me!!

-Janko

CCS said...

Tom, You have great eyes to see John at the ND game. What an amazing video find! Ah, TiVo, what a wonderful invention!

Anonymous said...

I love it! That was my 1st home game as a student at ND!!! What a trip to see you two so young! And now, my son John is 10 years old! Weird!

Anonymous said...

I remember that. I think. Or, at least I had fun. (my Junior year)

Lisa said...

Boog,
Loved the video. Cronleys are everywhere!! Can't believe we are soo techo savvy.